This has been such an amazing, eye-opening year for me and I could not be more thankful. Thankful for my family who has stuck by me, for the new friends I have made, for the blogosphere that has taught me so much and for the changes I have made.
This past year, I was forced to change for my health. The weight gain to get back to a healthy weight (which I am still working on actually) was an obviously necessary change for health but the other changes were unexpected but just as essential!
In no particular order, here are just some of my health gaining changes and tidbits I have learned:
1) Instead of Splenda to sweeten, I choose fruit, honey, plain ol’ white sugar or just enjoy it plain! (It took some time but I really and truly love the tart creaminess that is plain yogurt 🙂 )
2) I switched from skim to 1% milk and still wonder how I ever convinced myself that skim was just as good
3) I buy organic chicken and free run eggs as often as I can and really believe there is a taste-able difference
4) I don’t drink diet pop and no longer feel that fake fullness and bloat that accompanies it. I drink real squeezed fruit juice or just pop a juicy orange!
5) Low-fat is ALWAYS chosen over non-fat (plain and simple, we need fat. It keeps you full and satisfied and beautiful 😉 )
6) Peanuts-and-salt-only peanut butter over processed pb (you get all that nutty pb taste and nothing else!)
7) I eat FAT and enjoy it! Avocados, fatty fish, cheese, pb, nuts, YUM. (oil, I’m still having trouble with)
8) Dessert over no dessert. That’s a no brainer, a little dessert never hurt anyone, especially if its of the Chapman’s fro yo variety or a homemade muffin! Plus, it tastes good and life is too short to not indulge in a real cookie when you want one 😉
9) Snack before bed is a must. True fact: I wake up in the middle of the night or super early in the morning if I don’t have one!
10) Walking over running. I enjoy it more (esp with my dog and dad in tow!), it’s easier on your joints, better for gaining and is still a legit, heart-pumping form of exercise!
11) Have more than just fruit/veg at a meal/snack. Include protein AND carbs AND fat for max yumminess and satiation
12) Stop the food habits; they don’t need to be there. I used to eat reallllllyyy slowly, soak the oil off everything, pick off all traces of fat/skin, refuse to eat out, make all of my own food
13) Beans can and should be added to things like soups, stews, casseroles, pasta sauces, baked goods! They add bulk, fibre, protein, nutrients and taste amazing!
14) Roast everything! It’s easy, healthy and tasttyyy! Line a baking sheet, spray some PAM, spread washed veg/fish/chicken breast/chickpeas/almonds/tofu/anything, seriously, spray again, add some spices, bake in preheated oven for 20-30 mins, EAT!
15) Pre-workout snacks are crucial. They help me focus, power through and enjoy the workout!
16) Calorie counting is boring and tiring and totally unnecessary, your body KNOWS what it needs
17) Everything is a lot more fun when I’m not hungry all the time/pre-occupied with food thoughts
18) I love snacks!
19) It feels good to exercise but equally as good to sit on the porch reading while having a particularly good snack. Why? See #18!
20) Pressed/grilled is always better (see #14)
21) Food tastes really really good and is meant to be enjoyed.
And reminder for my giveaway ending on June 4th! You have 2 days!